[Coco] DECB DOS Command

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Sat Dec 13 04:08:05 EST 2003

I would say that the weird use of SWI3 is because the DOS command, unlike
any other part of any of the CoCo ROMs, was written for Disk Basic 1.1 by
Mark Siegel at Tandy (not Microsoft), who basically didn't know what he
was doing, as you can see from the extraordinarily sloppy and convoluted
code of that command.

The bug you mention may just possibly be a "feature" that was a one-byte
last-minute change added to allow the DOS command to operate on a drive
other than zero by such workarounds as DIR 1:DOS.  Or, it may indeed be a
bug, as it is labelled in the Unravelled series.  (Booting OS-9 from a
drive other than 0 also requires a patch to the relevant OS-9 routine.)

Art