[Coco] Small COCO mailing list problem - Big Mozilla problem.

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Fri Dec 12 21:17:07 EST 2003

Robert Gault wrote:
> John E. Malmberg wrote:
>

>> This is where Mozilla resizes internal subwindows incorrectly to make
>> room for the attachment window, sometimes in a rapid loop, and when
>> looping it is not responsive to steps needed to correct the condition.
>>
>> If the length of the name of the mailing list can be reduced to about
>> 1/2 it's current size or less, it will prevent the bug from tripping.
>>
>> This Mozilla bug has had a few birthdays now, which considering it's
>> severity, this is not good, but an indication that it is not going to
>> be fixed soon.
>>
> Which versions of Mozilla? I'm not having any problems with v1.5.

It is present in Mozilla 1.5b.  I have not seen any entries in Bugzilla
about it being fixed, just more people marking it as a problem for them.

It shows up when the preview pane is in use.  Mozilla wants to make the
it as wide as the longest address or collection of addresses that are
not broken up by commas, + the size of the attachment box.

For my particular configuration, it wants to make the window to be 12
inches wide for a coco list posting.

The instability comes when the it resizes the message pane, it can not
conclusively calculate the resulting size, and it will alternate between
the two sizes.  Previous versions were much more likely to exhibit the
instability than 1.5.  The interim fix has a side effect that you may
not be able to access the scroll bar on the right side, making it appear
that the message is shorter than it is.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only