[CoCo] 720kb vs 1.4mb 3.5" disks

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Thu Dec 11 08:46:00 EST 2003

I have been having a number of floppy disk issues that are somewhat
related to this topic in my quest to transfer my Flex-09 disks to an
emulator.

Battle number 1.  A 5.25" 360K floppy drive went bad on head 1 in such a
way that it prevented head 1 from operating on the 3.5" 1.44M floppy
drive that was with it.

A great deal of time was wasted trying to find out what was going wrong.

Battle number 2.  During the troubleshooting of this, I built another
disk system with different 360K 5.25 inch drive and a 1.44M floppy
drive.  Basically replaced everything.

It seems that there is a small alignment problem with the second 1.44M
floppy.

The floppy drive on the W98/W2000 and separate W95 system will not read
COCO formatted 720K diskettes made on the second drive.  But I assumed
that the problem was my software, and wasted a lot of time putting in
diagnostics in the program.

The properly aligned 3.5" drive in the COCO does not have problems
reading the COCO formatted floppies made in with the problem 3.5" drive,
but the reverse is not true.

Battle number 3.  In trying to rebuild the subsystem that had the bad
5.25" drive, if I have only a 5.25" inch drive in it, it appears to work
fine.  If I add a known good 3.5" drive to it, it causes track 0 of the
5.25" media to become corrupted.

This is all with double density media, not high density.

I have discoverd that John Collyer's version of the retrieve utility can
  not read track 0 of a flex formatted floppy, and can not read side 2
of the floppy, but appears to be able to read every other track on side 1.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only