[Coco] Re: optimizing

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Wed Dec 10 23:10:10 EST 2003

At 01:57 PM 12/10/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 12/10/03 12:46:19 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>rtaylor at bayou.com writes:
>
> > f(somevariable=true) then
> >  //      I just tested somevariable twice
> >  endif;
> >
> >  or how about:
> >
> >  if(somevariable<>0) then
> >  endif;
>
>These are just redundant and wasteful, but how about
>     while(UnsignedVar >= 0) ... ;
>which gives you lots of stare-at-screen time when run?

Fortunately, HLA supports assembly statements mixed with high-level
stuff.  At any time you want to do better than the compiler, you just start
entering the Pentium instructions.  No #asm directives are needed.

>BTW, the 6809 C compiler is buggy re
>     if(IntVar)
>and must be written
>     if(InVar != 0)
>since the compiler tests only one byte of the 16-bit D register.

Remind me to NEVER use that compiler.  Jeez.
Wonder how many headaches they caused due to this??

Roger Taylor