[Coco] 3.5 in 720K vs 1.4 meg floppy diskettes

Chris Spry bugster at cedarcomm.com
Wed Dec 10 23:08:00 EST 2003

I've played around with this quite a bit actually and here is my experience
with this sort of thing:

1.44MB 3.5" Floppy drive acting as a 720k drive.....works great!  I've put
together several dual floppy drives with this configuration and it works
great with DD 720k floppy disks.  My current config at home is this
configuration (/DO is a 360k 5.25" floppy and /D1 is a 1.44MB Floppy).  Have
yet to have a DD 720k disk fail on me (even formatted as 160k in RS-DOS!).

Putting a 1.44MB floppy disk in and formatting it as double or single
density (720k or 160k under RSDOS)....sucks!  Very unreliable.  Most of the
time I start losing data and get I/O errors anywhere from days to weeks
after initiation (on rare occasions hours). Even with the second hole taped
over to trick the drive.

-Chris Spry