[Coco] COCO 3 for LowFER transmitter?

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Wed Dec 10 22:26:01 EST 2003

jdaggett at gate.net wrote:

> The neatest way to get the carier frequency needed is to divide the E clock
> freqency with an external divider.

Which of course is wasteful, as it is cheaper and easier to use a clock
source independant of the COCO.

Direct digital systhesis may be an option now for that.

> There are routines in the cassette output section of the basic roms that will
> generate the audio to modulate the carrier.
>
> To store data on the cassette the Coco outputs AFSK baseband signal. I am not
> sure if AFSK is permitted on that segment.

I think it is as long as it fits in the bandwidth and the power
restrictions it is ok.

The power and antenna restrictions would have me persue more creative
methods of building the transmitter.  There is no restriction on the
length of the control lines.

My previous LowFER which only existed on a breadboard was a transverter.

I used a 3.58 Mhz crystal and a Yaesu FT101B to drive it.  I could
transmit on SSB, CW, or AM.  By moving the correction dial on the Yaesu
79 Khz over, I had exact tuning.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only