[Coco] [Color Computer] OS-9 Editor and NitrOS-9 Download

David dbree at duo-county.com
Wed Dec 10 18:08:19 EST 2003

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 12:28:35AM -0500, KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 12/9/03 7:40:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> dbree at duo-county.com writes:
>
> > However, they inadvertently assigned a
> >  signed number for a pointer, and the ASCII value of an ALT-key is sign
> >  extended and thus points backwards from the base of the array, and thus
> >  jumps to an undefined location, resulting in either a crash or some
> >  undefined/unknown action.
>
> Hah hah, that good old 6809 C lack of "unsigned char" bites us once again,
> with a $?X-ually transmitted disease :-)  Not that it's an excuse for the 68K
> version, but whoever coded it may have still been thinking 6809.  Maybe Scred
> was written first for the 6809?

It probably was.  It was probably just defined as a "char", since there
is no unsigned char in coco C, and it was never changed.  Of course, it
was a bug to not mask off the MSB in the first place.

I changed the word above because my ISP has a virus/junk mail filter and
it held this message as being - well, don't want to use any words that
would get this thread stopped  :-)