[Coco] COCO 3 for LowFER transmitter?

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Wed Dec 10 08:36:00 EST 2003

Apparently this message never made it to the list until it was reposted
here.

Converting the output from Channel 3 or Channel 4 to the VLF band would
require external hardware, and you can not control the modulation, so
all you would get out of it would be RFI or nothing depending on what
you ended up with.

What you are asking on doing is converting two appoximately 65 Mhz
signals, one AM and 3.5 Mhz wide and one FM about 15Khz wide to a single
160 Mhz signal.

It is simply not practical to do.  And to even consider indicates that
you are totally unaware of the relevant radio theory.

It may be possible to get the DAC that is used to provide audio output
to cycle at between 160 and 190 Khz, but an external filter would still
probably be needed.

Modulation internal to the COCO for AM, except for sounds is also
limited, as the COCO only has a zero crossing detector for picking up audio.

The output of the COCO is a stair step function, and that can not be put
directly on the air even if you can get it to generate the correct
frequencies for CW or find a way to modulate it for AM.  It will
generate too many harmonics, and thus violate part 15.

The external circuitry needed with any of these approaches basically
ends up being the same complexity or even more complexity than if you
just built a LowFER transmitter.

If you want to feed the output of a COCO DAC or Stereo Sound PAK to a
real transmitter, then a filtering circuit is needed to supress the
harmonics from the square waves.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only