[Coco] DriveWire 1.1 (was: NitrOS-9 V03.02.00 Released)

Boisy Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Tue Dec 9 21:22:00 EST 2003

The boot floppy that came with DriveWire 1.0 had an RS-DOS part and an
OS-9 part.  On the RS-DOS part you ran a program called "INSTALL.BAS"
which asked for your version of OS-9 (L1 L2 or NitrOS-9) and wrote the
boot track for the OS onto track 34.

The new boot floppy that will come with DriveWire 1.1 still has an
RS-DOS and OS-9 part.  However the new BASIC program "SETUP.BAS" will
put the DriveWire ROM code on the boot track instead of an OS-9 boot
track.  Furthermore, it automatically detects if you are running the
program on a CoCo 3 or not and puts the appropriate track
automatically.

The result is that after you run the program then type DOS, the code at
LSN $264-$275 on disk 0 of the drivewire server will be loaded into
memory at $2600 and control will jump to $2602.  This means you can
construct a Flex-09 disk image that has boot code on sectors $264-$275,
and this boot code can boot your Flex-09 bootfile (however that is
done).  CoCo 1/2 runs at 38400 bps, CoCo 3 runs at 57600 bps.

Looking back, it was stupid for me to use OS-9 kernel tracks as it
locked that version of DriveWire with the disk images that came with
that version.  This new method allows the boot floppy to simply load
whatever is at those sectors and execute it.  Your only job is to
construct the code at the sectors to conform to the limits noted above.