[Coco] FLEX+ runs on a COCO3

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Tue Dec 9 07:54:00 EST 2003

Willard Goosey wrote:
>>From: "John E. Malmberg" <wb8tyw at qsl.net>
>>Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 23:21:00 -0500
>>
>>It is a single user operating system with some background tasks.
>
> ??? I didn't realize it had anything in the way of multitasking.

Not much, there was a print spooler, and possibly something else.  There
  were instructions for writing your own.

> I wonder how expandable FLEX itself is?  Could it be made to know
> about hard drives?  What are the limits on its file system?

Apparently there have been some enhancements to FLEX since the COCO
implementation.  The documentation is at the Flex User Group web site
that has been mentioned in this thread.

> Does FLEX+ support the 40/80 column text screens?  I dislike using
> PMODE screens for text.

FLEX+ does not know anything about the COCO 3 at all.  That support
would need to be written.

> Also, does it emulate a cursor-addressable terminal?  One of my pet
> peeves with DECB is that BASIC doesn't.

I think that it does, but I really do not remember.  That I would have
to look up.

> Then there's the issue of transfering files from one OS to the
> other... I know there were DECB/OS-9/FLEX transfering programs, but
> are they findable?

I know that Frank Hogg sold one that would do all three, I do not know
where to find it.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only