[Coco] [Color Computer] OS-9 Editor and NitrOS-9 Download

David dbree at duo-county.com
Mon Dec 8 22:30:10 EST 2003

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 07:36:33PM -0500, Robert Gault wrote:
> David wrote:

> >>Its just as crash-prone on the coco.  Not of much use really.
> >

> >I found the cause of one crash - actually, I think it was the same thing
> >in both the coco and OSK editors.  The pointer to one of the lookup
> >tables for something was defined as a signed integer rather than an
> >unsigned integer.  ALT-<key> input was, of course, defined as a negative
> >number, causing a jump to a wrong location.  I posted a patch for this
> >on Compuserve and/or maybe Delphi, plus some other places.  If anyone
> >still uses coco scred, I can post the modpatch file to fix it.  I
> >attempted to do the same thing for OSK, but never was able to track this
> >one down. I went to ved anyway..
> >

> Yes, please post the patch and better the source code for the patch if
> you still have it.

-------------- cut --------------------
* Fixes(?) bug in "scred" where alt-key crashes ???
l scred
c 0012 3c 3d
c 05db 2c 24
c 05f1 2e 22
c 05f7 2f 23
c 108d 30 31
-------------- cut ----------------------

You apply the patch with modpatch (correct file name?)  IIRC, you can't
have blank lines in this file.  Let's see ... do you apply this with the
module in memory?  Of course, you all know to keep a good copy of the
original for in case things go bad.

To test it, try running scred before the patch and see if you don't get
crashes with ALT-<key> combos.  IIRC, this will eliminate these.  There
may be other bugs that this doesn't address.

Robert --  All I have -somewhwere- is some rudimentary disassemblies of
the scred program.  I didn't do a very good job of disassembly, and
really narrowed the "better" disassembly down to this bug.  If you are
really interested, I can probably look up what I have.  Would you be
wanting to see the complete source for scred?  FWIW, from my messing
with coco scred and OSK scred, it appeared that they were probably
compiled from the same C source.