[Coco] Another drive question

David dbree at duo-county.com
Mon Dec 8 19:16:00 EST 2003

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 10:19:28PM -0500, KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 12/7/03 6:02:26 PM Eastern Standard Time, wb8tyw at qsl.net
> writes:
>
> > There is a native version of MESS for LINUX.  The Micrsoft Windows
> >  version is a port of the LINUX version using the Cygwin LINUX support
> >  utilities and libraries.
>
> Someone reported that Linux MESS is very slow.  But from what you say, the
> Windows should be even slower!  Maybe it's just that Windows typically is run on
> newer, faster PCs, so folks don't notice.

I'd say that MESS run on a 1 GHz or so machine would be pretty
responsive.  You might even get by with something on the order of
500MHz, but anything slower - such as my P-166 just doesn't cut it.

> Say, do you think that Cygwin package could get Linux UltiMusE running on
> Windoze?  I recall some excitement over Cygwin a while back, but it turns out to
> be  a bear to use, so someone said.  --Mike K.

Another option might be to us MinGW.  It's available on sourceforge.
If you install this, you will want MinGW and Msys.  MinGW is the
compilation environment, and Msys provides a POSIX-like environment to
issue commands, etc.  If you would like to give it a try, www.mingw.org
will put you on the SF site.