[Coco] CoCo-4?

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Dec 8 12:46:00 EST 2003

peak

yes it would be better to buy a OS9/68K license (often called OSK) and port RSB
over.

To port OS0 for the 6809 to the 68K core of products requires a lotmore work. Even
with the XLATE09 software for the trranslation it is about 95% effective. Every
module and command will have to basically be touched up and reassmbled. You
are talking about 75 to 85 differnet pieces of code plus all the device descriptors.
Then you will need to improve the source code to take advantages of someof the
68K functionality that is not present in the 6809.

It is a lot of work, believe me. Unless you ar very ambitious, it is not a project that a
single person should take on. I am not sure how many software engineers at
Microware it took to portt OS9 from the 6809 to the 68K family but I bet it was more
than five. Or else it took them more than six months to do it.

james