[Coco] Disk drive questions?

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sat Dec 6 16:34:00 EST 2003

John Murphy wrote:

> not the only way... that's in reference to 13h, right? What API call were
> you using to modify the vector???

Direct access to the memory.  Modifying the vector worked for DOS2.11,
in DOS 3.x and later, Some one changed the size of the table, but did
not document the new size, so you must modify the table directly.

> int 21h, Function 440Dh, minor code 40h Set Device Parameters
> int 21h, Function 440Dh, minor code 60h Get Device Parameters
>
> The read/write functions are also buried in here (int21h) somewhere....

Those int21h functions are not available on all Windows platforms and
not available on any Windows NT version, including Windows 2000, and
apparently are not available on some versions of Windows 95 or earlier.

They are invoked by loading a special VXD device driver, and depend on
the low level driver supporting them.  And that driver is only available
for the operating systems that claim that they are decendents of Windows 95.

I may try building a version of COCODISK that uses them, but I really
would prefer to get the test system back running Windows 2000.

The official Win32 functions that exist have a procedure to get the
device parameters but nothing to set them.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only