[Coco] Disk drive questions?

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sat Dec 6 14:40:00 EST 2003

John Murphy wrote:
> From: "John E. Malmberg"
>
>>It depends on your definiton of modern.  Windows 2000, and Windows XP
>>have removed the API that programs could use to read 256 byte sectored
>>floppies.
>>
>>That API is known to work on DOS 2.x to 6.x, Windows 95, and Windows 98,
>>and possibly Windows NT 4.0 and earlier.
>>

> Specifically, which API?

Modifying the Disk Parameter Block at Interrupt Vector 1Eh.  The only
documented way to change the floppy disk characteristics.

Changes to the Disk Parameter Block appear to be ignored on programs run
on the newer Microsoft Operating Systems.

> Binaries still seem to work under 2K, XP. I say
> "seem" because I haven't tested very recently, but I'm fairly certain I've
> done this under one or the other. Possibly the binary used a different API?

If it is, I would like to know what it is.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only