[Coco] Another drive question

Bruce Calkins bcalkins at disaster-relief.net
Fri Dec 5 16:10:00 EST 2003

The impression I have gotten is, that along about the late Pentium one days,
the motherboards or OS's started reading the drive specifications on
startup, ignoring the BIOS settings.  I have had some luck with a 360k (40
track DSDD) drive with a BIOS setting of 720k using a 486 board.  This
"trick" has not worked for me with any Pentium one board computer.  I have
had some luck using the 1.2 Meg 5.25" drives on a Pentium one, using John
Collyer's DSKINI and FRESHLY ERASED disks.

Bruce W.