[Coco] Re: Disk drive questions?

PaulH96636 at aol.com PaulH96636 at aol.com
Fri Dec 5 16:04:00 EST 2003

I recall when first getting a Amdek dual 3" flippy disk package that a total
of only
3 drives would be available.  Two dual Amdeks would also not result in a
total of
four active drives, but the reason escapes me.

So the dual drive unit could be used as 0 & 1, or together with a 5-1/4 drive
as 0,
1 & 2.  The dual unit had two internal dip switches, but until I find the
user manual,
the settings also escape.  When purchased from Digi-Key, the Amdek would
already
be configured for the coco, with the cable included.  I never tried
making/using 40
track diskettes, but iirc, it was possible.  The drives themselves were made
by
Hitachi.  Capacity @ 35 tracks, 160kb.

Of course, with a dual ramdisk on a 512k coco3, one could have drives 0-5, or
in my
case, 0-4.

   -ph