ABC (was Re: [Coco] Re: [Color Computer] PC Lyra)

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Thu Dec 4 23:24:00 EST 2003

In a message dated 12/4/03 5:00:58 PM Eastern Standard Time, afn49349 at afn.org
writes:

> Sounds like a nice idea.  If it helps any, the BNF and
>  current specifications for ABC are up at:
>  http://abc.sourceforge.net/standard/

Wow, BNF specs!  I remember those from CS grad school.  Actually, my
impression of ABC was that it was a sort of "evolved" language that wouldn't describe
well in BNF, but then, maybe BNF would make more sense out of it, and show it
to me all at once.  I'll bookmark that URL and go look soon.  Thanks.

>  >I did create my own ASCII music language (sort of like ABC) way back in
>  >the '70s, and revived it on the Coco with a BASIC program that read in
>  >files and compiled them into binary for real-time 4-part synthesis.
>
>  That sounds really interesting.  I never got into music other than simple
>  BASIC play statements or playing other people's files on the CoCo.  I've
>  done a little programming of the OPL-2,OPL-3 chips on the PC, but my
>  current sound card isn't compatible with any of it.  If you ever dig up
>  your BASIC code for the CoCo and make it publicly available, I'd be very
>  curious to see what you did.  Sounds like a nice program.

What are these OPL-2/3 chips?  Sound generators, or programmable controllers
like the STAMP series?

It's been years, but I probably still have it on an RSDOS 5.25" floppy
somewhere.  Trouble is, it's VERY hard to get such programs into my PC for sharing,
since my "new" PC doesn't have a 5" drive, and BASIC won't handle 3" drives.
Well, maybe, someone suggested it could -- you just don't tell BASIC, and let
it play your 3" drive like a 5" SS 35.  Might be fun (?) to try.

>  Best wishes. >  Laura

Thanks.  Laura, if you have OS-9 or Linux, you could try my UltiMusE program,
whereby you use the mouse to draw sheet music on the screen, then play it.
--Mike K,.