[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] PC Lyra

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Thu Dec 4 16:14:06 EST 2003

In a message dated 12/3/03 9:24:19 AM Eastern Standard Time, afn49349 at afn.org
writes:

>  find ABC notation
>  (http://www.gre.ac.uk/~c.walshaw/abc/) works great for composing and
>  sharing music on the PC.  It would be nice to see some software that works
>  with ABC notation on the CoCo.  Should be pretty similar to using the
>  BASIC play statement, only ABC works with the full power of MIDI (multiple
>  notes, multiple instruments).

I visited some AVC website once and DL'ed some basic manual pages for it.
ABC appears capable of doing just about everything needed for keyboard music.
One of my rainy-month project ideas is to write a parser that would translate
ABC into UltiMusE scores, and/or the reverse (have UltiMusE output ABC files).

I did create my own ASCII music language (sort of like ABC) way back in the
'70s, and revived it on the Coco with a BASIC program that read in files and
compiled them into binary for real-time 4-part synthesis.  Worked great, but
couldn't give it away.  Never ported it to OS-9 -- wrote UltiMusE (UME) instead.
--Mike K.