[Coco] DD/720 diskettes

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Dec 4 08:16:00 EST 2003

On Thursday 04 December 2003 06:06, PaulH96636 at aol.com wrote:
>> So one needs a good supply of DD diskettes.  Unforch, they are a
>> little like hens teeth, very very scarce.
>>
>>>Keep an eye open in thrifts. BTW, some guy keeps selling them on
>>>eBay. I also picked up a bunch at a swap meet.
>
>Even rarer than DD diskettes are 2.88mb diskettes for circa
>early '90s IBM IML microchannel machines most of which came with
>the corresponding 2.88mb floppy drives.  But the diskettes I came
>across at swap meets were apparently previously used, and faulty in
>that most no longer could be even formatted to 2.88mb at all, or had
>a large percentage of errors. I've never seen brandy new 2.88s
>offered anywhere since finding a couple of IML MCA machines.
>
>-ph

Yeah, its been a coons age since I last any of those.  The diff is the
data rate, it was cranked up to 1 megabaud, and would require an even
finer granulation of the coating on the disk, and likely not as thick
as a std HD diskette carried.  Changes in the coercivity?  Dunno.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III at 500mhz 320M