[Coco] Re: Coco Newby

Theodore A. Evans alxevans at concentric.net
Wed Dec 3 22:08:00 EST 2003

On 12/02/03, jdaggett at gate.net wrote:

> The comment about "D" was interesting. I had heard of it but never saw or
> heard of enyone using it. If I remember correctly Unix was first written
> in "B". The predecessor to "C". A Computers in Business class I took in
> 1971 used PLIII and wrote a programs punched out on old IBM cards. Largest
> one I wrote was about 100 cards. Saw a person dropped their deck of about
> 300+ cards. Those were the days. get one card out of order and the whole
> program bombed. Sometimes had to wait an hour to just find out that you
> made a stupid typo. Punch a new card and make sure it was in the right
> order.

Strictly speaking there never was a language nameed B although BCPL
(the ancestor of C) was commonly referred to that way.  The Unix
kernel was originally written in assembly language, then rewritten in
C as it evolved from BCPL.  Considering tha the earliest of these Cs
are more like BCPL than they are like modern (K&R and later) C it
would be fair to claim that these versions of the kernel are actually
written in B.

>> and D {yes, there really is a "language" called D}).  Most computer
>> languages have the same sort of "thinking", which is most easily
>> learned with a simple computer.  The old addage of "Everything I
>> needed to know I learned in kindergarten" sort of applies.  I've found
>> my coco knowledge most useful when doing low-level stuff, like
>> assembly.

I have never seen or used D though I do occasionally use E and J
(which is a descendant of APL and has no relation to J++).

--
"Aren't you dead?" - Kirk to Spock, STII:TWOK
Theodore (Alex) Evans            | alxevans at concentric.net
94-1071 Kepakepa St. Unit #C-1   | http://www.concentric.net/~alxevans
Waipahu, HI 96797                | ICQ 78089262
x                                | (808) 676-0123         2B v ~2B = ?