[Coco] Re: Coco Digest, Vol 1, Issue 307

farna at att.net farna at att.net
Sun Dec 28 17:34:16 EST 2003

The big problem with copyrights now is that they are way to long. 14 years is
not enough for artistic works such as novels, which don't really go out of
date, but I'd really like to see things like magazine articles and computer
programs go back to the 14 year (or even a 10 year) limit. Things like that
are pretty much out of date after five years, and support for items are gone
way before the 10 year mark. Value to anyone but a few hobbyist is pretty
much gone as well. The only exception might be proprietary code, but if the
code is still in use (say the core code in an upgraded version) and being
published it should continue to be covered because of the new releases. In
this case it should probably read 10 years after publication ceases. Well,
that would cover everything if it were 10 years after last publication. Then
if a company wanted to extend their copyright, they could publish a
compendium or something near the 10 year mark, which would cover the work for
an additional 10 years.

I think the big publishing companies worked the last copyright law deals. In
many cases the long copyrights STIFFLE rather than promote progress. The same
with patents. The original author/inventor rarely profits as much as big
business from the long terms.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Independent