[Coco] Emulation speeds

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Tue Dec 9 15:50:26 EST 2003

In a message dated 12/8/03 11:04:14 PM Eastern Standard Time, wb8tyw at qsl.net
writes:

> I do not have any personal experience to say one way or another.  It
>  seems to me that a 50 Mhz machine should have enough horsepower to
>  emulate a 1.68 Mhz machine.

Experience shows otherwise, plus the Coco3 is really more like 7 MHz in Intel
clock terms.

>  The problem might be in the X-11 interface, and it might depend on what
>  graphics options are present.

Oddly enough, I was surprised (pleasantly) to find out how fast X Windows
graphics ran on my old 66 MHz Linux PC.  After hearing all the bad jokes about
how X is a CPU hog, memory hog, graphics driver hog, etc.  It is MUCH faster
than, say, K Windows on an MM/1 compared to writing graphics RAM yourself.

>  According to the folks that I know that program the graphics cards, one
>  vendor will not supply any information, just Microsoft drivers, while
>  another will supply enough information to make the card functional, but
>  will only supply the graphics accelerator code in the form of a
>  Microsoft driver.

This is true, and always holds Linux systems back a couple of years.  But if
you want blazing graphics to play games, run Windoze.  If you want to edit
video, get a Mac.  The kind of graphics done by serious apps (CAD, music, word
processing, spreadsheets) is not aided much by hardware accelerations.

>  And by the time that someone reverse engineers the driver, that chipset
>  is end of life, and the old tricks will not work with the new chipset.

Also sadly true.  BTW, this is what helped sink the AT306 and DelMar OSK
systems -- finding drivers for PC video cards.
--Mike K.