[Coco] graphical CoCo emulation environment

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Fri Dec 5 02:40:00 EST 2003

We've talked about this subject before: the idea of a graphical
representation of a real CoCo system being emulated on a PC, where you can
drag and drop "floppy disks", "rom paks", "cassettes", insert "cables", and
everything else you'd normally do with a real system (well, almost).

Because the M.E.S.S. team has made it somewhat easy for some to interface
with the mess.exe and messgui.exe programs, a graphical environment of the
type I described should be rather easy to do.  The hardest work would
probably be in the graphics department, keeping everything pretty and in
proportion, etc.  Even that is not that hard to do.

My ideal virtual CoCo would look pretty much like the systems did in the
Radio Shack catalogs, to some degree.  The only portion of the whole screen
that would belong to M.E.S.S. itself is the surface that holds the CoCo's
video screen, and maybe the menu riding on top, but I'm sure that can be
switchable.

The messgui app is okay I guess, but is buggy and if you're just into
emulating the CoCo, it's not really needed unless you're configuring the
M.E.S.S. settings when you first install the emulator.  After that, you can
pretty much call on messgui with parameters and if you know a bit about
hijacking windows and subclassing them, you can make the M.E.S.S. video
surface behave to fit this graphical CoCo system.

So this will be my "next" CoCo project, which will be the 3rd project based
on a PC but aimed 100% at the CoCo, while 2 of those projects are designed
to actually create CoCo software for real CoCos, so I do not feel bad at
all playing around in this area.

any thoughts?

{Roger Taylor}