[ From Butch Ross ] UPCOMING SHOWS! Kickstarter and CD news. And a question.

News, info and tourdates for Butch Ross butchross at butchross.com
Tue Oct 22 12:06:19 EDT 2013

*Upcoming Shows*

THIS WEEKEND, Oct 26th
*Cincinnati Dulcimer Society's Fall Festival*
With Guy and Shari George and myself
Connections Christian Church
7421 East Galbraith Road
Cincinnati, OH 45243
To register for classes contact Fran at 513-608-7858
Just $15 per workshop, but they'd really like you to do it by tomorrow.

NEXT WEEKEND Nov. 2nd
*Heartland Dulcimer Club Fall Traditional Music Festival*
Featuring: Doug Berch, Susan Trump, Andy Young, Frank and Nancy Clark, The
Chattering Magpies, Martha Richards and me.
John Hardin High School Performing Arts Center.
Elizabethtown, Kentucky 42701
For more information email Claudia Tamplin at cbtamplin1 at aol.com or call
270-723-2416
or sign up online at http://www.heartlanddulcimerclub.org/fallfestival.asp
This festival and the concert are FREE (but they'd appreciate a donation).
*
*
*Kickstarter and CD News*
So the Kickstarter Campaign ended last Sunday and I am thrilled to say that
we are fully funded plus some!!!
In fact, someone donated $100 (and asked for no rewards) with just 10
seconds left!

All told, I am really excited about the way that the whole Kickstarter
campaign works. Of course gaining the funding to put this thing out is
huge, but also seeing the outpouring of support. Not just from you guys,
which was far beyond my expectations, but from total strangers; people who
gave 'cuz wanted to and they could. It's also really well set up to help
you underpromise and over deliver, which is always a good thing. And then
finally, as I've said before, it really drives home the fact that we are
all in this together.

The extra money will be put back into the project, it will allow me to hire
an outside producer to master the record. They call mastering the
"Photoshop of recording." I'm not sure what that means, since I only use
photoshop to add thought bubbles to pictures of cats. :-) Seriously, I
mastered GONE and I will never do it again. Mastering the final bit of
tweaking that makes the mixed and recorded songs sound like an expressive
cohesive whole. It's kind of like how you'll go to a stylist to have your
hair done for a wedding or a photoshoot, that last little bit to make it
just perfect.

Or maybe it's more like twice-baked potatoes.

But, it's a subtle, tedious process that takes a special person with a
fantastic set of ears to accomplish...and I am not that guy. Plus it's a
process best suited for an independent, objective set of ears anyway.

Now a few of you have contacted me about contributing without giving your
credit card info on the internet. So, I'm extending that offer for just a
little longer, and just to you guys on this mailing list. So, If you want
to pre-order "People, Places, Things" and also the Kickstarter only EP
"Gone" you can contact me here: butch at butchross.com and let me know and
I'll set one aside for you (put "GONE" in the subject line). You can also
do it in person at the next two events, I'll have a sheet out for it.

If you want to hear GONE in it's entirety, you can listen online here:
https://soundcloud.com/butchross/sets/gone

"People, Places, Things" (which is the new full-length CD) will be
available in perpetuity at gigs, my website, iTunes etc. As will the 7"
vinyl single. But the EP "GONE" will not. These will only go to backers of
the Kickstarter Campaign, and you, if you want one, but that's it. *There
will be less than 100 of these things in circulation.*
*
*
*Upcoming shows*
The next two gigs are gonna be fun ones. On Saturday I'll be teaching three
1.5hr workshops in Cincinnati, the CDS Fall festival. This is a club gig,
but it's open to the public, and I'll have a nice long set with two of my
favorite people: Guy and Shari George. This event is the first one I ever
heard my mentor Robert Force rave about, and I'm really looking forward to
it. Check it out here:
http://www.cincinnatidulcimers.com/index.html/Festivals.htm

As am I to the one the week after. I have been hoping to get back to the
Heartland Dulcimer Festival since I first played it with Christie Burns way
back in 2008, I'll be teaching two dulcimer workshops and two Ukulele
workshops as well. And the Heartland Club is trying something new this
year: all the workshops and the concert are FREE! Of course, any donations
will be greatly appreciated, and will help them achieve their goal of
making traditional music accessible to everyone. I think this is a great
idea.

Of course the Cincinnati Festival is only $15 per workshop, so really, if
you lived close enough, you could do both.

*And finally a question.*
Thanks for reading this far, I know I can be long-winded, so I try not to
send out too many of these things.

Steve Seifert and Aaron O'Rourke have been doing these "three day
intensive" workshops lately. I'm intrigued, but skeptical, so my question
to you:
Have you taken one of these? What did you think? Would you take one from
me? And on what topics?
Okay that's actually a lot of questions, but anyway, if you have an opinion
please drop me a line at butch at butchross.com (don't just reply to this
email) and put "3-day" in the subject line.

Okay, that's enough for now, here's those shows again.

THIS WEEKEND, Oct 26th
*Cincinnati Dulcimer Society's Fall Festival*
With Guy and Shari George and myself
Connections Christian Church
7421 East Galbraith Road
Cincinnati, OH 45243
To register for classes contact Fran at 513-608-7858
Just $15 but they'd really like you to do it by tomorrow.

NEXT WEEKEND Nov. 2nd
*The Heartland Dulcimer Club Fall Traditional Music Festival*
Featuring: Doug Berch, Susan Trump, Andy Young, Frank and Nancy Clark, the
Chattering Magpies, Martha Richards and me.
John Hardin High School Performing Arts Center.
Elizabethtown, Kentucky 42701
For more information email Claudia Tamplin at cbtamplin1 at aol.com or call
270-723-2416
or sign up online at http://www.heartlanddulcimerclub.org/fallfestival.asp
This festival and the concert are FREE (srsly they'd really appreciate a
donation).

C-ya out there!

--Br
www.butchross.com

"Now I know what a dulcimer is supposed to sound like" —Jake Shimabukuro