[ From Butch Ross ] Shows and workshops in Columbus this week...and I want to hear from you.

Butch Ross butch at butchross.com
Mon Mar 22 18:42:02 EDT 2010

*Friday, March 26th, 7:00 p.m*.
Guitar House Workshop, 1423 Chambers Rd., Columbus, OH, 43212,
http://www.guitarhouseworkshop.com/cms/

*Workshop: Jam session survival skills* --Don't know the tune? Chances are
good I don't either, find out what I do and how easily you can too,
regardless of your playing level. $20 per person with a jam afterwards
(natch) Space is limited.

Doug Snapp is handling the logistics of this. Since space is limited for the
teaching session on the 26th, he asks that a firm commitment be given.
Either respond to this email or call him (614 313-6424) or email
dmsnapp at wowway.com to reserve your spot. Some spots have already been spoken
for.

*Saturday, March 27, 2010, 7pm*
$5.00 suggested donation ($4 for members)
Areopagitica Book Store
3510 North High Street
Columbus, Ohio 43214
(614) 268-5094
http://www.areopagiticabookstore.com

Performing as part of the Cfms Folkside Coffeehouse Series.
This show also features an Auction to benefit the Central Ohio Folk
Festival.

It's also worth mentioning that if you are a member of the Urbana, Ohio
dulcimer club or the Standing Stone club in Lancaster, Ohio, I will be
teaching there too, as you president for more details.

My old roommate used to write to advertise his shows then rant about
whatever was bothering him that week, to was quite often brilliant funny,
and almost invariably inappropriate. And as any good idea should be, I stole
it from him. Some of you, I dare say are still here because of what I write,
almost more so than what I play.

But today, I have no such diatribe to give you; cuz there’s too much info to
give. As is too often the case, the busier I am, the less I post, so when I
do rear my ugly head, I got a lot of ground to cover.

First of all thanks to all the new friends I made on last month’s run
through Charleston, OVG, Ann Arbor and Johnson City. That tour may have
already given me the quote of the year “That was a great show you put on, I
didn’t care for the music, but it was a great show.” How can you not love
that!?!?! It’s important that you not take yourself too seriously, God is
going to see to that I think.

Second, if you ordered a “Long Way from Shady Grove” book, know that it’s on
its way. This week, if the printer gets to me in time, or next, but soon
very soon. I had then available for OVG, a small run, so that I could keep
my overhead low, sell a few at OVG then send the remainder out to all of you
who graciously pre-ordered. Except that the book sold WAY better than
expected and now I am anxiously waiting for a second run. My Philly friends
call this a “good problem” and I agree. Anyway, it’s done. And coming to you
soon. I promise.

Finally, the part where I need your help.

>From time to time, like every year, I like two revamp my workshops, keeps it

challenging for me, and gives you all a reason to come back (tho’ some of
you have told me that you learn a lot when you repeat old workshops). This
year, I’m taking the advice of a very smart person who suggested that
instead of guessing at what you might like to hear, I just ask you to tell
me. So that is precisely what I am doing. What do I do that you want to know
more about? What aspect of playing do you want to learn that is not covered
by me (or others)? No idea is too dumb, no suggestion too weird, I’ll post
the best ones online and we can vote on ‘em. Send an email to
butch at butchross.com and put “workshop idea” in the subject line.

Along those same lines, I’m looking for tunes from the late 50’s, 60’s and
70’s that are easy to play and only require a few chords. Figure the easiest
tune is “the lion sleeps tonight” (which s just one half of “cabbage”
repeated endlessly) and the hardest is “The house of the rising sun,” with
it’s many chords. What falls in the middle? What tunes would you like to
learn from that era? Again, send an email to butch at butchross.com and include
“60s and 70s” in the subject line.

Note that these songs are NOT NECESSARILY the ones I’ll be teaching at KMW
this year. I prefer to let you guys in the class decide which tunes we’re
going to cover this summer.

Okay, that’s it. If yr near Columbus please come see me at one of the above
places and if you have a suggestion, I’d LOVE to hear from you. That’s the
news, talk to you soon.

C-ya out there,

--Br
www.butchross.com

"Now I know what a dulcimer is supposed to sound like" —Jake Shimabukuro