[ From Butch Ross ] On the road again: Shows in Charleston, Lexington, Ann Arebor and J-City

Butch Ross butch at butchross.com
Mon Feb 22 09:59:38 EST 2010

Thurs. Feb 25, 2010
7:30 pm to 9:30 pm
Unitarian Universalist Congregation
520 Kanawha Blvd,
Charleston, WV
(304) 345-5042
$8 suggested donation (no one turned away for lack of funds)

Feb 26, 2010 - Lexington, KY
Hilton Lexington/Downtown Hotel
The Ohio Valley Gathering
http://louisvilledulcimers.org/OhioValleyGathering.aspx

Feb 27, 2010 - 7:30pm
The Ark - o/f Mustard's Retreat
316 S. Main, Ann Arbor, MI
(734) 761-1451
$15

Feb 28, 2010 - 8pm
The Acoustic Coffeehouse
415 W. Walnut St., Johnson City, TN
http://www.acousticcoffeehouse.net

So every year on February 2nd, they drag this poor glorified rat out of the
ground a 5am, and attempt to determine if he can see his shadow, if he does
there's 6 more weeks of winter. Well, there is always 6 more weeks of
winter; he always sees his shadow, because they put a TV camera, lights and
all on him. I think he does it out of spite.

And how exactly do they know that he sees his shadow? I live in a one-room
flat that's less than 300 square feet, and at least twice a day I can't find
the cat.

Now this year I'm listening to NPR and they feel compelled to showcase all
the other towns that have jumped on this Groundhog idea (as well as Peta's
call for a robotic Groundhog, I am not making that up). Look, I grew up near
Punxsutawney, in fact they were our big High School rivals (The Beavers
verses the Woodchucks, there's a couple of powerhouse mascots for ya), let
these people have their day, there is nothing else there.

The point of all of this (there's a point?) is that the Ohio Valley
Gathering is this weekend; to me this has always symbolically signified the
end of winter and the beginning of the festival season. Yeah, Phil saw his
shadow, but OVG is a month early this year. I'm going to take it as a good
sign,* and after some of the brutal cold we've had here in the south lately,
it can't come too soon.

Charleston
Has it been a year? No, two years, since I've been here. That approximately
1 year and 46 weeks too long to play this laid-back venue in a state that I
have no familial or historic connection to, yet seems to appear in a good
bit of my work. Last time, I had a Peter Gabriel pop quiz. Who knows what'll
happen this time.

The Ohio Valley Gathering
Like I said above, it's the official end of winter for me, and, of course, a
great chance to see my friends and favorite players all at once. I get as
much out of it as you guys do. This year however I can only stay for Friday
and part of Saturday because I have to drive to...

Ann Arbor
This has been a long time coming. An opportunity to open for Mustard's
Retreat, one of the most respected folk duos in the country, on their home
turf, in one of the finest acoustic venues in the country. Hell yeah I'm
excited!

Johnson City
This is getting to be like a second home for me. It's a nice stop on the way
back and a chance to try out some new, or rarely played tunes, and ALL THE
SHOWS ARE WEBCAST, so click your browser to acousticcoffeehouse.net this
Sunday @ 8pm and listen.

And while I’m thinking about it, I'll be back in Atlanta next week.
Wednesday, March 1st at Smiths Olde Bar (in the Atlanta room) hopefully you
can make it out.

C-ya out there.

-Br

*Notice I'm not using declarative statements like "The worst is over" or
"the thaw has begun," truly there's no better way to invoke Murphy‘s Law.
God just loves irony.