[ From Butch Ross ] Shows this week, workshops too.

Butch Ross butch at butchross.com
Wed Aug 25 10:06:10 EDT 2010

TONIGHT!
Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - $5
The Purple Fiddle
21 East Ave (RT 32), Thomas, WV 26292
Set: 8:30 PM
All Ages

Thursday, August 26th

Meet and greet and potluck at Doug and Deena Snapp's residence. Call Doug if
you're interested. 614-313-6424

Friday, August 27th

All-day Master Workshop, Home of Doug and Deena Snapp.
THIS EVENT IS SOLD OUT

Saturday, August 28, 2010

House Concert, home of Steve and Linda Gwinn
THIS EVENT IS SOLD OUT

Sunday, August 29, 2010 - $20
Dulcimer Workshop: “3 Great Tunes in A”
Guitar House Workshop
1423 Chambers Road, Columbus, OH 43212
614-488-2477 Set: 3:00 PM
All Ages

Sunday, August 29, 2010 – Free (donations accepted)
Concert Guitar House Workshop
1423 Chambers Road, Columbus, OH 43212
614-488-2477 Set: 7:00 PM
All Ages

Monday, August 30, 2010 - $6 to $10 (suggested donation).
Open Mic Feature @ Brewer's Alley
124 North Market Street, Frederick, MD 21701
301-631-0089

First off, big ol' thank you to David Shelow adn the Pather Hollow Boys for
opening last night with a great set of old-time tunes. Seriously they played
like all my faves. Also many thanks to Brad Yoder for hospitality, housing,
setting up this show and introducing me to Pittsburgh's amazing music scene.
And finally to all of you who came out to support last night. It was a great
show, made that why by you guys!

At some point I'm just going to have to figure out how to type and drive.
I've been having some amazing experiences but little time to share them with
you all (save those exhausting drives). Even now—on my supposed afternoon
off—the clock is staring at me.

I'm in Pittsburgh, and like an old friend, rediscovering the quirks that
made her so endearing to me (also meeting up with a couple of actual old
friends as well). Fall is just beginning to fall here and after the heat sun
and dirt of Philly Folk, feels like a fever has just broken. Last night, my
friend and host Brad Yoder took me to the Acoustic Cafe open mic, which he
said was the heart of the acoustic scene in town and MY GOD was he right.
I'm proud of the scene in Chattanooga and the Tuesday night gang at the
Tremont, but was astounded by the breadth and depth of the talent and the
quality of the songwriting. If this had been going on when I lived there, I
don't think I would have ever left.

I'd like to say that the Philadelphia Folk Festival was a dream come true.
But to be honest, the idea of playing the fest seemed so unlikely that I
never bothered to even fantasize about it. So to say that I'm chuffed to
have done it is an extraordinary understatement. I'm doubly-thrilled that my
old roommate Adam Brodsky and I got to play a “funny songs” set with Barry
Rabin, Deirdre Flint and Carla Ulrich, who are some of my favorite writers
and performers. Seriously go check 'em out.

But the first official day of the tour may still have been my favorite so
far. I had a fun lunch and lunchtime concert with the gang at Folkcraft
Dulcimers. Richard gave me a tour of the factory, and I have to say I was
really impressed with how they do things there, plus I got a sneak peak at
Bing Futch's new chromatic dulcimer (it's gonna rock). After that I spent a
lovely afternoon with Bernice Enyeart, the quilter whom I wrote my thesis
about, all this before playing a gig at J.K. O'Donnell's; an amazing (and
surprisingly authentic) Irish Bar in Fort Wayne, IN.

The rest of the week is looking to be just as cool, I'm playing the Purple
Fiddle in Thomas, WV (one of my favorite places to play/be); teaching an
all-day master class in Columbus; a house concert in Wellington, OH and then
back to Columbus for a workshop and concert Sunday, at the Guitar House
Workshop in Grandview Heights. The workshop is gonna be on “A” tunes, I'm
gonna teach three tunes in A, so you'll need a capo, it'll probably be
Hangman's Reel, John Brown's Dream and one of two others I'm debating. The
workshop is $20 and that includes admission to the concert later. If you're
just coming to the show that's going to start at 7pm, and weather
permitting, we're going to be outside. John likes to make these events
pay-what-you-want-donations, and that is fine by me.

Then Monday I'll be in Frederick, Maryland (not Virginia) where I'll be the
featured act at the Brewer-Alley Open mic. The show starts at 7:30, I go on
around 9

Finally, for those of you in NJ. I'll be returning to the Minstrel
Coffeehouse, opening for the fabulous Bill Staines on Friday, Sept. 3rd.
hope you can make it to that.

Okay, this was a long one, but hey, a lot has happened. Thank you to ALL of
you, who came to a show, told a friend or bought a CD. It's because of you
that get to do this, thank you.

C-ya out there.

--Br
www.butchross.com

"Now I know what a dulcimer is supposed to sound like" —Jake Shimabukuro

Those shows again….