[ From Butch Ross ] Shows and workshops this weekend: Louisville, Chicago, and Evansville

Butch Ross butch at butchross.com
Thu Oct 23 09:13:55 EDT 2008

Friday, Oct. 24 - 9pm
Jenicca's
Café and Wine Bar
636 E. Market Street
Louisville, KY 40202
502-457-1487
myspace. com/jeniccas

Saturday, Oct 25 - 9pm
Uncommon Ground
3800 N. Clark St,.
Chicago, Il
773-929-3680
www. uncommonground. com

Sunday, Oct 26 - 4pm
Dulcimer Workshop: If you like one tune, you'll like 'em both.
Camp RevealEvansville, IN.

England was an amazing, amazing time. The shows all went really well, and
the badn i was touring—the Matt O'Ree Band— were a great bunch of guys, as
well as being really excellent musicians (sadly, there are few bands who are
both) If you like Blue-Rock a la the Allman Brothers, I strongly urge you to
check them out. http://mattoree.com/ It looks like we'll be going back over
to England again real soon. I'll keep you posted.

I'll also put up a longer blog post with pics and stuff from the trip real
soon. I just need to find some long boring conference to sit through,
hey!...

This week in Louisville is the annual meeting of the American Folklore
Society, it's the must-see event for those who share my "side job" as
Folklorist. Since most of my professors and classmates will be there asking
"so what have you done with your degree?" I decided to show 'em, and booked
myself into a jenicca's, A hip little wine bar in downtown Louisville. I
like Louisville, even started to write a song about it, 'cause i just hate
that "8 more miles to Louisville" song. It's been too long since I've been
there, it'll be good to be back.

It's also been way too long since I've been at the awesome Uncommon Ground
coffee shop in Chicago, 2218 days to be exact. I know this because the
Uncommon Ground web site maintains a page where they list how longs it's
been since you've played there. They also stream their shows on their web
page, so even if you're not in the Chicago area, you can still listen
online. I play at 9pm (central time)

Finally, I'll be back at Camp Reveal in Evansville giving a dulcimer
workshop and a mini-concert at 4pm that Sunday. The workshop will is called
"if you like one song, you'll like 'em both." The title is a joke about
old-time music, but the workshop will dwell on how to find similar musical
phrases in different tunes, we'll learn three tunes over the course of the
hour and a half workshop. The workshop is $20.

There you go, since success in this business depends on keeping the overhead
low, I'm hoping to avoid booking into a hotel in Chicago, so if any of you
would like to put up a slightly disheveled folksinger for a night, drop me
an email at butch at butchross.com (don't reply to this address, it just goes
into a spam-filter neverland).

c-ya out there.

-Br