[Coco] Looking for information on a SCSI cable for the Ken-ton system

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Thu Nov 4 16:11:50 EDT 2021

On Thursday 04 November 2021 13:32:50 TL Steege wrote:

> I have a CoCo Ken-ton 85 meg SCSI drive with a controller which
> includes a Seagate ST296N 85MB 3600 RPM 5.25" SCSI drive but, it is
> missing the custom cable between the case and the controller pak. If
> anyone has any schematics for the cable's construction, it would be
> greatly appreciated. The CoCo Archive has the manual but unfortunately
> nothing about the cable.
>
> https://colorcomputerarchive.com/repo/Documents/Manuals/Hardware/Ken-T
>on%20SCSI%20Interface%20-%20Installation%20and%20Setup%20manual%20(FARN
>A%20Systems).pdf

Please, the length of the link did not survive the wordwrapping in your
email agent. Please, when posting such links, put them inside a pair of
 <>
like this
<https://colorcomputerarchive.com/repo/Documents/Manuals/Hardware/Ken-Ton%20SCSI%20Interface%20-%20Installation%20and%20Setup%20manual%20
(FARNA%20Systems).pdf>
Even that may not work because there are %20=spaces in the link which
give intervening software, including mine an opportunity to break the
link at one of those spaces. I've tried several other encodings for
this but cannot get rid of a linefeed at column 138 and this link is 157
characters long with 9 illegal spaces.

legal only in a 100% microsoft environment, but they were 20 years
late in trying to rewrite the net rules that govern all this.

> Thanks in advance for any help.
> Terry

Never had a kenton, Terry, did have a disto for quite a while, which
split a 34 wire cable and put it on the outside 17 connectors at each
end of a std 50 pin scsi-ii connector. This however destroyed the
handshaking between drives so when I felt the need to address more
drives, I bought Marks M's (cloud-9) controller, which I think is
now discontinued. It has no problems addressing 2ea, 1 gigabyte seagates,
and could address all 7 if they were present. I tested it by moving my
2nd drive to all available addresses, worked fine.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis