[Coco] CoCo Model 1 Cartridge Port

Rick Ulland rickulland1 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 11:02:22 EST 2021

On 12/24/21 8:48 AM, Charles Hudson wrote:
> Following your advice I moved the cable to the last connector (on the
> end with two connectors) and repeated the process of "dksini0".  This
> time the drive light came on and I could hear the stepper motor move
> the head.  I failed to count the steps - I was completely surprised -
> but a dozen steps or more activity ceased and the light went out.  The
> result on the screen once again stated IO ERROR.
>
> I then tried repeating the disk format.  This time I heard the
> mechanism straining; no regular repeated stepping and after a few
> steps with long pauses between them the activity ceased and I got
> another IO ERROR message.

I'd bet dollars to donuts Art is correct. The way a CoCo drive is
supposed to work, you turn it own. The head position is unknown. First
operation steps the head a whole buncha times, to make sure it's banged
against the end stop for a while. DECB still doesn't know the head
position, but assumes surely this is 0 and counts from here until death.
If the head doesn't move, or doesn't move properly, DECB doesn't know
and forges ahead until there is a read error.

Pop the top, watch the show. Bring hair clipper oil for the dry slide
rails. And Merry Christmas.

-ricku