[Coco] CoCo Model 1 Cartridge Port

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Fri Dec 24 08:13:32 EST 2021

Sounds to me like the problem may well be with drive selection, that is,
the drive or cable is not properly configured to make the drive behave as
Drive 0.  It is normal for the drive motors of all drives to come on when
any drive is selected, but the red light not coming on seems like a tipoff
that drive selection is the problem.

Drive selection is accomplished in one of two ways.  If the cable is one
that originally came with the original (oldest) controller, model 26-3022,
it should have teeth pulled in the cable connector to accomplish drive
selection, by effectively disconnecting the select lines for the unwanted
drives.  Look at the end of the cable that plugs into the drive, head on,
and see if there are teeth that have been pulled.  Does the cable have
three connectors altogether, one at one end, which plugs into the
controller, and two more or less near the other end?  If so, try plugging
the drive into the opposite one that is near the other end, if you've got
pulled teeth in your cable.

The other way drive selection may be accomplished is by jumpers inside the
drive.  If your drive has a DS0 jumper, you want to turn on that one and
turn off any other jumpers that are designated DS1 or DS2.  There should
also be a removable terminating resistor inside the drive.
The terminating resistor should only be plugged in for the drive that is
last in line, that is, farthest from the CoCo.

Hope this helps!

Art