[Coco] loading programs via cassette interface

tim lindner tlindner at macmess.org
Thu Dec 16 11:33:26 EST 2021

On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 7:06 AM Keith Monahan via Coco
<coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:
> Do you have a method for converting a text file containing a BASIC
> program into an audio file compatible with cassette loading?

I have two.

You can use an emulator. Attach a WAV file to the cassette port, type
in (or paste) the BASIC program, and CSAVE it.

The other way is with a set of tools called Toolshed. Here is a
spreadsheet where I list image manipulation tools:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17RfYWQbUhSIsSn2DG_L12IN5wdcXCChApmeZZNbsnhU/edit?usp=sharing

cecb (a part of Toolshed) is a command line tool and the process goes like this:
(Assuming you have a text file "MYPROG.BAS" with 0x0d line endings,
now-a-days called Macintosh line endings.)
cecb bulkerase new_file.wav
cecb copy -0a MYPROG.BAS new_file.wav,MYPROG

or to save the file in tokenized form:
cecb copy -t MYPROG.BAS new_file.wav,MYPROG

--
tim lindner

"Proper User Policy apparently means Simon Says."