[Coco] Pardon me for asking...

Charles Hudson charles484 at twc.com
Tue Dec 14 13:21:10 EST 2021

Well, the ROMs are another story, one where the tail wags the dog:  I
have some other TRS hardware and a few years ago bought a Tandy Color
Disk Drive thinking I could adapt it for use with a Model III.  Later I
acquired a 26-3022 controller to drive it. Then I read that the
controller needed 12VDC and that the CoCo 1 provided it, so I bought the
CoCo.  It got damaged in shipping so I broke the seal and took it apart
to repair the case.  While it was open I inventoried and found I had
Color BASIC 1.1, no ECBASIC, and a 16k E board.  And video so shaky it
makes you itchy just to look at it.  And the drive didn't respond.

I found I needed CB1.2 and ECB ROMs to talk to the drive.  No problem: I
had EPROMS and EPROM burners, but then I found that the recommended
EPROM, an MCM68766, required 25 VDC to program; a voltage my USB burners
could not furnish.  I looked at adapter boards but decided against them
because they interfered with the other components and prevented
re-installation of the RF shield. I found a Needham's programmer on eBay
but am still collecting the pieces for that, so I sent two blank ROMs to
Cloud-9 for programming.

I still don't know if the damned TCDD is operational, but at least I
have a CoCo to show for it, replete with 64K RAM and an Hitachi CPU.
Keyboard is funky and the video is awful but we'll get to that, I suppose..

-CH-