[Coco] Flex-09 on the Coco 3 - It works from a real floppy drive

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sat May 23 22:27:35 EDT 2020

I have not been monitoring this list for a while and have just been
skimming through the older posts to try to catch up.

Still have 114362 messages marked unread.

I posted back on 12/06/2003 that I successfully booted Flex+ from
Spectral Associates on a Coco 3.  The 51 character wide Hires screen
even worked.

I am seeing many posts that Flex-09 does not work on a Coco 3 or an
emulator since my original post.

The issue is that the anything that is emulating a floppy that contains
a Flex-09 disk volume has to be able to deal with the fact that the
first track is single density.  I think it would be 9 256 byte sectors.

So a disk image would have 9 256 byte sectors, and then the remaining 34
tracks for original disk with the 18 256 byte sectors, more for others
in order for the bootstrap to work.

Or one of the formats in the COCO SDC manual that allows specifying the
density of specific tracks.

So far I have not found a tool to copy a Flex formatted disk except flex
it self.  It is now on my large list of TODOS.

Currently it looks like the flex-09 bootstrap will also only use the
disk controller in slot 4 of the MPI interface.

So it looks like a bit of work is needed for flex-09 COCO SDC when there
is a real floppy controller also present.

An emulator should just needs the a disk image it knows how to grok to
make Flex work.

Regards,
-John