[Coco] Largest sdcard supported by SDC?

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue May 12 13:42:57 EDT 2020

On Tuesday 12 May 2020 11:29:53 Allen Huffman wrote:

> On May 12, 2020, at 10:21 AM, Alex Evans <varmfskii at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have just tested a 64GB SDXC card in the teh CoCoSDC. I suspect
> > that the limit is the 2TB limit imposed by other FAT32 and SDXC.
> > Windows will not format FAT32 volumes larger than 32GB.
>
> Just be careful :)
>
> Be aware that the CoCoSDC, like many embedded micro devices, uses a
> standalone SD interface part. There is no OS and file system driver.
> You send it commands and it does stuff. These parts are not as robust
> as a desktop and can be very picky about brands of cards and formats
> and such. I have dozens of devices that use things like this that I
> have fought over the years and had data too many times to count. I
> went through a half dozen types of cards before I found one my Chauvet
> DMX playback unit would work with, most recently.
>
> While these larger SD cards may work, we should look up the part
> number for that interface and see what it claims to support. Many have
> small size requirements and it’s best to stick with those. Most I see
> specifically say things Ike "Please make sure the card format is
> FAT32" (obviously, it only knows it) and list sizes like "2GB max for
> microSD, 32GB for microSDHC."
>
> I have a box of SD adapters I use with Arduino projects and I’m
> stunned the SDC is as reliable as it is using one of these type parts.

I've been using 64GB SDXC's, reformatted to the linux ext4 file system,
for close to a year of my rpi experiments with the rpi3 and now rpi4.
So far, zero data loss.  So maybe the SDXC has learned to live with
other file systems?  Linux's ext4 knows how to deal with big drives, its
running a 2 Terabyte spinning rust drive in this machine.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis