[Coco] CoCo Disk preservation...

Steve Ostrom smostrom7 at comcast.net
Wed May 6 11:31:54 EDT 2020

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Allen Huffman
Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2020 10:20 AM
To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts
Subject: Re: [Coco] CoCo Disk preservation...

On May 6, 2020, at 9:52 AM, rietveld rietveld <rietveldh at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have used Carl England 's Backup magic to make working backups of marty's nightmare and both of Diecoms light phaser games.

Carl England has said that he never found a disk he couldn’t duplicate with it. It makes a copy, including the protection.

I remember some early copy protection involved burning a hole in the disk at a certain spot.  That would probably prevent copying, unless you could change the code on the disk that searched for that hole.  Not exactly the same, but Brit Monk put out a strip tease program called “No Way”, where you needed to guess the correct random choice out of 3 to reveal a part of the nude picture.  I think you needed about 20 correct guesses in a row to display the entire picture, practically impossible.  I disassembled that program, found where he checked to see if the answer was correct, and changed that code from BNE to BRN.  I renamed that file “Yes Way”.  I suppose someone could do the same with the laser hole protection scheme.

--- Steve ---