[Coco] C compiler self-hosting on NitrOS9 again!

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Mon May 4 19:46:10 EDT 2020

Jeff, rma & rlink work fine, I use them exclusively.... UNLESS you are building library files (in which rlink is not involved).
To build a library (like clib.l or cgfx.l), using the "clib" sources, you would think you could use c.prep, c.comp, c.opt, then rma (for "*.c" files, if it's a "*.a" file then only c.opt and rma). The resulting rofs are then merged (not linked) to form the "*.l" file to be used in c programming.
When rma is used, the resulting *.l file will be unusable.

My C environment is:
rcr - custom C frontend
c.prep - original Tandy (any others fail on long lines and too many labels)
c.comp - ??? unknown origin ??? (I use the one from the NitrOS9 repo)
CNoY - custom massager only used on certain projects
c.opt - Original Tandy (all updated vesions suffer same problem as c.prep)
rma - original Tandy or R63 (either works)
rlink - original Tandy
I also use TK's make, CK's clib.l and Mike Sweet's cgfx.l.

To build C libraries, to get working libraries I have to use.
c.prep
c.pass1 & c.pass2
c.opt
c.asm
(c.link is not used for libraries)
all from the original Tandy compiler

I tried many combos and this is the only build tree that worked for C libraries. Also, the only way I could match the crc of CK's clib.l was with the original Tandy compiler. Same with Mike's cgfx.l.

Have you tried building the library sources in your repo into the "x.l" files they are intended to become? If not, try it some time. It's an interesting experience.