[Coco] AM Radio to CoCo Cassette Port to Random Number Generator Software

Melanie and John Mark Mobley johnmarkmelanie at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 22:56:54 EDT 2020

This is a random number generator it should return a number from 0 to 65535.

Turn on the AM radio and tune it to static or talk radio.
Plug the radio into the cassette port.
Run the program.
Turn up the volume until the numbers look right.

10 N=0
20 FOR X = 0 TO 15
30 P=PEEK(&HFF20) AND 1: REM READ THE CASSETTE PORT
40 N=N*2+P
50 NEXT X
60 T=T+1
70 PRINT T, N
80 GOTO 10

I am still testing this program for randomness.  I currently wonder if P is
0 half the time and 1 half the time.

I am still working on this but I thought others might enjoy this also.

I wonder how random it would be on a music station.

Also the radio may pick up interference from the computer.  So you may want
to move the radio away from the computer.

If the radio is running off batteries the results may change as the
batteries lose their charge.

Try "AUDIO ON" and "AUDIO OFF".

-John Mark Mobley