[Coco] Tandy Color Computer 3 RND Function

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Thu Mar 26 13:09:27 EDT 2020

Robert,

The question that arises with your suggested method of assessing the
randomness of the CoCo's RND function (choosing two calls to RND to pick X-
and Y-coordinates and putting a dot on the screen for each pair of
coordinates) that I see is this:  You say the pattern formed "does not look
completely uniform".  But, I wonder if a truly random function would pass
this test?:  There might well be some bunching of points purely due to
chance, with a finite number of dots.  Just like with random coin flips
generating apparently long runs of heads or tails every now and then.

A better test might be to divide the X-axis into some number of intervals
like 50 or so and generate a histogram over some longish interval that
reflects the percentage of values falling within each interval.  The
distribution should approximate a rectangular one.  (There are statistical
tests like the chi-square test that could give an estimate of whether the
obtained distribution deviates significantly from chance.)

Art