[Coco] Powering up our retro systems

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Mon Jan 27 11:14:01 EST 2020

I read the document (or at least the pertinent parts) and it said, "The
result is that a higher than normal leakage current will flow when a
voltage is applied after prolonged storage. As the oxide layer is
regenerated in use, however, the leakage current will gradually decline
to its normal level. When designing application circuits, attention must
be paid to the fact that after storage the leakage current may be up to
100 times higher than normal during the first few minutes following the
application of power."

Then under the storage section it said, "If the capacitors have been
stored at temperatures above +35°C or for longer than above-mentioned
periods, it is necessary to consider whether the application circuit is
able to tolerate high initial leakage currents. If this is not the case,
one should perform the special reforming procedure."

So here's what I glean from the document.  Make sure your power supply
is designed in such a way that it will tolerate/sustain an initial
leakage of at least 100x the normal leakage current after the circuit
has remained idle for some time. If your circuit can't sustain that,
then you may need to manually reform the capacitor(s). As long as your
circuit is tolerant of that, the capacitor(s) will reform by virtue of
their being used after a relatively short amount of time.

And the document reiterates what I said, that high temperatures are the
biggest culprits. So you can either allow the CoCo power supply to
reform the capacitors (which it likely has the capacity to do in most
cases) after a prolonged storage period or you can gradually apply
voltage starting at a lower potential in the case of the power supply
not having the ability to sustain the higher leakage currents at its
rated voltage.

So from what I understand, the only reason to be concerned about the
CoCo's ability to reform the caps on its own by merely turning the CoCo
on, is if the power supply doesn't have enough "oomph" to handle the
higher leakage currents.  And from your statement that the transformer
is capable of delivering ten amps of power (albeit for a limited time)
then I would have a hard time thinking that the power supply couldn't to
that.

Dave