[Coco] Powering up our retro systems

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun Jan 26 11:51:16 EST 2020

On Sunday 26 January 2020 09:31:54 rietveld rietveld wrote:

> A lot of us have a backup coco; and maybe a backup to that backup
>
> How often do you power up the spare equipment?
>
> How often should we turn it on?
>
> How long should we leave it on?

Because my system has hard drives, I never turn them off. Stopping and
starting a hard drive is the worst abuse you can subject them to. I made
the mistake of shutting it down to let a contractor install some water
control stuff in the basement and it wound up being several months
before I got all the demolition debris cleaned up enough it was safe to
power it up again, and had to use a rubber hammer on the corner of the
drive casting to get them started again, stiction had welded the heads
to the disks. But these 2 drives are both seagate scsi 1GB'ers that
started life in 91 or so in an amiga 2000, so they are going on 30 yo.
With over a million power on hours each and no bad sectors yet, I think
thats testimony enough to just keep them spinning, so they are, right
now.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis