[Coco] C Compiler on NITROS-9 L1

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Thu Jan 23 20:17:10 EST 2020

On Thursday 23 January 2020 18:39:02 pfitchjr at bellsouth.net wrote:

> I thought the C and assembler in the Dev Pack came straight from the
> Level I OS-9, just recompiled. Or maybe not even that, just
> repackaged, price increased, and resold for Level II.

I don't recall that, but I do recall having to exit the 51 column screen
to compile something on level 1 with it.

However the shortage of ram did make me write my longest running
application in basic09, used several times a day for 14 years while we
owned KTLA's old Grass Valley Group 300-3AB production video switcher at
at WDTV. That switcher had a huge bag of tricks, so each of our tech
directors could program it with his personal tricks.  GVG wanted $20,000
for that accessory.  But the used gear peddler didn't give it to us but
did include a copy of the protocol and interface manual. I looked at
that, and RB had just published The Forgotten Chip showing how to add a
hardware UART to an old level one coco, so I sat down in between  normal
work and wrote my own version of that E-Disk in basic09. I even got
familiar enough with how it worked that I often wrote shorter things to
reach into the logic in it and troubleshoot down to the chip level when
there had been a failure. When I retired, my replacement couldn't keep
it going so they've bought 3 or 4 much simpler replacements since in the
going on 18 years since. But they've now gone digital.  Which meant they
had to vacate the old control room and build it all new elsewhere in
that huge building.