[Coco] toolshed under Linux

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Thu Apr 23 19:09:27 EDT 2020

Just wanted to weigh in on this:

 >> Also, why are we still using mercurial??

My 2 cents:

TL;DR: Git and github are the most popular and widely used; virtually
every software engineer has used them, other tools notsomuch...

--- Longer Version Below ---

I don't know anything about mercurial myself; I've never used it, so I
will refrain on saying anything about its pros or cons.

But the software engineering world has almost (seemingly) standardized
on using git (and github by extension - gitlab is also an option).

Now - I know that toolshed and other CoCo projects aren't really a part
of the common "software engineering" space; these are all retro projects
maintained by a small number enthusiasts. So maybe it doesn't really
matter what versioning tool is used...

...until and unless another maintainer has to take it over.

That new guy may or may not have mercurial or ever used it - but it is
almost guaranteed that they have used git and/or github. Git (and
github) are almost default tools in a developer's toolchain at this
point. If they weren't, you'd see "mecurial-hub" or something like that
making inroads and taking business away from github. But you don't,
because it isn't...or something like that.

Yes, I guess I'm arguing for popularity and commonality; not the best
argument. As a professional (though currently jobless) software
engineer, I almost expect any serious project (which I think toolshed
is) to be available on github, if it isn't proprietary (and especially
if it is open-source). I expect to be able to make changes and pull
requests, etc - and to continue to use the tools I know. I have never
worked at an employer that used anything other than git and/or github. I
know there are plenty of employers that don't use those tools, but I
suspect they may be in the minority (just a gut feeling - I have nothing
to back that up).

--
Andrew L. Ayers
Glendale, Arizona