[Coco] CoCoFEST! Challenge: CoCo DMA

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Mon Apr 13 22:41:04 EDT 2020

On 4/12/2020 6:47 AM, Joel Rees wrote:
> While we're playing with traces, what do you think of modifying the
> cartridge interface with a permanently attached multipak interface? A
> second set of fingers off to the side, or such.
I'd encourage Ed Snider, as he's building a new CoCo motherboard in a
different form factor, and it's easiest for him to add such a thing there.

> New redesigns of the the mainboard could include a cardbus that
> somehow brings the bus state bits out, too.
It could indeed.  However, I think it would be best (if we're going to
muck with the design) to put the DMA controller on the CoCo motherboard
and bring out signals that let carts know they now have the bus.

> Or leave the original card connector in place and add a second set of
> four slots with a more complete cardbus.

True.  Again, I trust Ed is watching these, as he's in a much better
position to pursue these ideas.

That said, the issue is still in place.  UNless someone comes up with a
neat DMA idea that resonates with people, there's no point in adding the
circuitry.

Jim

www.go4retro.com
store.go4retro.com