[Coco] Coco Swiss Army Knife for newbees / anyone..

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Fri Apr 27 14:58:41 EDT 2018

This was discussed a while back and Darren came up with a solution. Here's a copy of his reply:

I think I may have found a way to detect a CoCo1 vs a CoCo2.  At least it worked in the very limited test of the two machines I have.  Rather than look for the SALT chip it tries to detect if the machine has the custom integrated DAC chip.

The theory is that the custom chip in the CoCo 2 does not allow
bidirectional flow through the analog switch, whereas the MC14529B used in the CoCo 1 does.  The test selects the cassette port as the audio source and then toggles the single-bit sound output while looking for a change on the cassette data input.  If the predicted change is seen then it would appear that bidirectional flow through the switch is occuring and the machine is a CoCo 1.

Should anyone care to try it and report their findings, below is the Basic program I used to perform the test:

10 POKE &HFF23,&H33
20 POKE &HFF22,&HFA
30 POKE &HFF23,&H37
40 AUDIO ON
50 POKE &HFF22,0
60 A=PEEK(&HFF20) AND 1
70 POKE &HFF22,2
80 B=PEEK(&HFF20) AND 1
90 AUDIO OFF
100 PRINT "THIS APPEARS TO BE A COCO";(A<>B)+2

Darren

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com