[Coco] Extended Basic Upgrade on single socket CoCo 2

Carlos Camacho idevgames at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 20:26:25 EDT 2017

Hello,

I need to upgrade a couple of CoCo2s to Extended BASIC. These machines have
the single 28 pin socket that contains a 24 pin Color Basic ROM. I have
removed the 24 pin Basic ROM and will burn a 28 pin with both Color Basic
and Extended Basic.

First, to burn the combined ROM, can I do something like this in Windows to
combine the two BINs?

type extbas11.rom bas13.rom > combined.rom
or
copy /B extbas11.rom+bas13.rom combined.rom

Either method better than the other?

Or is it best to write both BINs at:
Extended Basic V1.1 --0h -1FFFh
Color Basic V1.3 -- 2000h - 3FFFh
??
(Never done that before, got a TL866)

Next question, the motherboard has some jumpers related to the ROM size.
J1, J2, J3, J4, J5: 64K is jumpered

I should cut all the 64K jumpers and solder the 128K jumpers?

Lastly, if I am using a 27C128, I can just plug it right in to the 28 pin
socket? Want to be sure no adapter is required from the socket to the EPROM.

Thanks for your help!

Carlos Camacho