[Coco] 16/32 bit 6809 derivative

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 01:52:51 EDT 2017

2017/09/23 14:18 "Kip Koon" <computerdoc at sc.rr.com>:

> Hi Joel,
> You took the thoughts right out of my mind!  I have been wanting
something like that for years!  Would you be that guy who created the next
generation of 6809 MPUs?

Only if I could get someone to pay me.

Conceptually, it's not that hard. Sign extend everything.

Memory management will take a bit of thought, of course. The gadgetry in
the Coco3 wouldn't be very useful.

Ultimately, we would prefer assembly-language compatibility, but then
everyone thinks 68K or ARM.

But I like the 6809's simple instruction set.

> Kip Koon
> computerdoc at sc.rr.com
> http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/User:Computerdoc

implements the 6809 instruction set in 16-bit accumulators and 32-bit index
registers, with a 16-bit instruction set accessed by pre-bytes.