[Coco] UK PAL CoCo1 Repair

R Jones rjones at biketech.org
Wed Sep 20 10:06:34 EDT 2017

Hi,

I'm trying to fix a fault on my Color Computer 1 (ECB), I broke this
over 30 years ago while playing with a diy cartridge slot board. I put
it to one side and never got round to fixing it. It now powers up and
show random characters on screen, but no prompt. I'm just trying to work
out the power line requirements for the major chips. Are schematics
available for this version of the board?

I have now socketed all the ICs on the board. As I have a Dragon 32,
which uses mostly the same chips, I have swapped out most of the ICs in
to the Dragon and seem to work fine, such as the cpu, 74ls783, 6821,
6822, 6847, 74ls138, 74ls273, 74ls244. I also have tried 2 other sets of
working ram chips which do not seem to make any difference. I put the
meter on most of the resistors and they check fine, I have also taken
most of the capacitors out of circuit and they check fine on my basic
tester.

This is the board, a 26-3003: http://www.biketech.org/coco_board2.jpg

I have checked the power and ground to all ICs and they are fine with
the exception of this chip which I cannot find a datasheet for
http://www.biketech.org/unknown_ic.jpg I see that Dave Jones of EEVBlog
recently did a teardown of a CoCo1 with what looks to be an identical
board but this chip has a different number on his.

I have a scope and checked for the signals suggested in the SAMS
diagnostic pdf and they are present.

There doesn't appear to be any damaged or broken traces. I have tried
the basic rom in the Dragon and it power up with the usual Tandy Basic
text and appears to work fine.

Any advice on where to check next would be appreciated.

Thanks.