[Coco] DE-1 Clarification Please

tim franklinlabs.com tim at franklinlabs.com
Tue Oct 24 17:58:30 EDT 2017

   The PROG/RUN switch enabled the write capabilities of the on board FPGA
   flash device. NOT the FLASH RAM. The FPGA doesn't retain anything when
   power is removed. You can send the progtam directly to the FPGA (.sof)
   file and run it using the programming tool. When power is removed, the
   FPGA forgets the program. There's a "Config Flash" chip connected to
   the FPGA that programs the FPGA automatically at power up. This flash
   is programed by placing the RUN/PROG switch in PROG mode and sending
   the POF file the same way you send the SOF file This is done with the
   programmer tool (not the control panel).

   The control panel allows you to write to the on board external flash. A
   totally seperate chip. This chip is NOT connected to the RUN/PROG
   switch therefore the switch has no affect on writing to it.